Post-Holiday Reflections

Have you ever noticed the more you hang around people the more you begin to speak like them? Or even begin to desire the same things as they do? With the holidays just passing I’ve noticed my desires shifting and not in the most godly way. The influence of others is so prevalent and the more time you spend with a person the more likely you’ll start to become like them. Think about it. Think back to a time where you were desiring more of what the world offers…who were you spend a lot of time with? Then, think back to a time where you were on point with God…who were you hanging out with a lot? I know for me that this is so true in my life.

With celebrating the holidays these past few weeks where I’ve been spending more time with people I normally don’t hang out with much it has really opened my eyes to Proverbs 13:20. What and who we place ourselves around has a greater impact on us than we may initially recognize. After many gatherings and events where I was placing myself around people I wouldn’t call a godly influence I began desiring worldly things more than things of Christ. The worldly desires such as money, partying, and sexual immorality became more important for me to fulfill than my godly characteristics. The more time I spent with the “unwise” the more my desires grew for such things.
[Disclaimer: I’m not saying that by hanging out with certain people caused me to sway away from my walk with God but my time spent with them definitely was an ingredient that helped influence my attitude. I dropped my guard (reading the Bible every day) and made a choice to accept the influential offers.]

Although, this could have ended disastrously God was near even when I was not near to Him and pursuing Him. He knew exactly what I needed to hear. As I swung back into my daily routine because we all know that holidays seem to kick us off on an ultra-lazy or supersonic-busy mode, I was able to recognize the truth and why I was feeling down and out. I made the decision to sit and listen for God. As I did this He revealed Proverbs 13:20 to me. Just that little time with God shows me how powerful His influence is on my life and how much more powerful it can be when I place His Word over me as protection during these busy times with “unwise” people.
So, will you spend more time with people who will drag you down or will you choose to spend more time with people who can build you up, creating in you wise desires?



It’s a choice. You have to make it. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Samantha Metzger 2015. Powered by Blogger.
© Samantha Metzger and His. Beloved., 2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Samantha and His. Beloved. with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.