Where's the Greener Grass?

If I were to ask you what you were thinking about your life right now I bet you might say “Well, I want to get a raise at my job” or “I’d like to move out in a year” or “We’re planning to have children soon”. It often seems that our minds focus on the next best thing, the next step in our journey and we focus too much on a timeline of what’s next. We all like to think that doing something else or being a part of a different church, having children, moving away to college, or making a job change will be so much better or provide more opportunities than what we have in our present positions. I’ve come to the realization that sometimes the grass isn’t always greener on the other side as we so often believe.
//
This past month I was preparing myself and my belongings to make a 9 hour road trip down south. I was moving away for college. This was an adventure! I had always wanted to explore the world and I definitely have a passion for traveling. So, this move was something I looked forward to, something I thought that was meant to come next in my journey because what better and more convenient time was there to see new parts of the world than going off to college? For the past year I watched fellow classmates make big transitions to new parts of the country or to new, exciting employment opportunities. I desired that so much; to say that I was living somewhere awesome and new; pursuing a career and a new life of my own.
During this transition, God revealed that the grass may seem greener on the other side but by trying to make this work out for myself at the new school in North Carolina it was tearing me a part. I was trying to force it and conform to ways that were not necessarily designed for me at this time. He asked me, “What’s more important right now? I gave you a choice because I will be with you wherever you go, but now you made a decision to go. Do you see that your thoughts are not always what they seem? Do you see that your mind can paint an elaborate picture of what could be rather than letting me paint the picture of what is now? Beloved, come back to me and I will teach you that the grass is not always greener and that I will direct your path to all the best pastures; the places that I had you at in Ohio”.
//
Wow, what a humbling experience. My selfish ambitions took control of an opportunity and lead me to something that was not meant for me at this time. God’s design for us in not to follow a certain step-by-step guideline especially a guideline of what the world thinks is correct. He designed us for relationship with Him and with others. His design for us is to live out His will wherever He plants us and not follow the ways of this world. Recognizing this I saw how my selfish ambitions of wanting to travel, pursue a new life, and be self-sustaining were distorting my view of what was right in front of me; family, friends, community, home church, and so many more blessings. Focusing on the next best thing can be great but running away with those thoughts without submitting them to God’s design is treacherous.

God knew all along as He always does. He waited patiently for me to return to His will and leave my ambitions, desires, and wants behind. As I relinquished and surrendered my path to His hands I saw His blessings. My purpose for going to graduate school was to pursue a career God had led me to a little over a year ago; school counseling. Going to school in North Carolina I was chasing after more than that. I was trying to make my future secure by searching for a school that had a dual degree program: school counseling and clinical counseling) so that I could be more marketable. This was the start of my self-sustaining ambitions. I wasn’t trusting that God had my best interests in mind and would secure my path with just one degree. I wanted to make sure I had things in place just in case.
Needless to say, my journey was not what I expected. As embarrassing as it sometimes feels to mention, I’m moving back home. I truly thought being away from everything I’ve ever known would be great. I’d adjust after a couple days and eventually get in the swing of things. But I recognized that I may have wanted this so called “greener grass” as many of my classmates have pursued more than I wanted to see that the grass I had already been standing on was just as green if not greener.
//
As I surrendered, God graciously received me and blessed me even more than I could have imagined. Next week starts the beginning of the career God called me to. My position in a school counseling program at a local college was still available for my taking! What? That doesn’t happen! It was as if He said “She’ll be back. Just wait for her to realize the truth and she’ll return to my loving embrace and I will show her my ways are greener”. I took the opportunity as a blessing and was able to sign up for classes so late in the game. God is so patient; so gracious; so merciful. Keeping God first needs to be a priority we seek after daily, moment by moment because our human tendency will overshadow much of what His still, small voice reveals.
I know I’ve mentioned this before; living for what’s next is not how God designed it. His grace and mercies are sufficient for today. He gives us want we need for the moment and by faith in Him we can rest assured that He will always provide for our needs in the future. We won’t see clearly until we let go of our wants and desires to seek after the Lord. Don’t let your worldly pursuits overshadow your spiritual values. Look at the grass you’re standing on before you jump to the other side of the mountain. You just might find yourself in the exact place that God desires for you.




PS: Thank you to everyone who has been cheering me on during this transition. Thank you for your constant encouragement and prayers. You mean so much to me and I’m so grateful for all of you. God was working through you as He directed me back home. Thank you for your continued support and for giving me grace as well for making a mistake. You rock! 

Peace & <3,
Samantha

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Sam, I'm so proud of you! Abba will bless and honor your decision to listen to Him. Your testimony will encourage so many more that find themselves asking and seeking for righteousness. To "do" the right thing! We all grow closer to Him when we hear these testimonies of how God is drawing each of us. Shalom shalom !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I appreciate your prayers and encouraging words through this humbling time. :)

      Delete

Samantha Metzger 2015. Powered by Blogger.
© Samantha Metzger and His. Beloved., 2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Samantha and His. Beloved. with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.