Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

Psalm 25:4-5--
Show me Your ways, O Lord; Teach me Your paths. Lead me in Your truth and teach me...

For the past week I've been dealing and really struggling with my decision of what I want to do as a career for the rest of my life. This is really hard for me to choose because I really have no clue what it is I want to do. I had a mental breakdown yesterday once I got home from class. I was so happy and joyful on my ride home but once I stepped in my room and looked at all of the work that needed to be complete by Sunday I just freaked. I blew up at my mom and continued to be in that mood for almost the whole night. I even woke up feeling kind of on edge still. Anyways, I received a daily devotional from one of my friends' mother in the mail a few days prior to this breakdown. I looked at it and was grateful for it but thought to myself, "When am I really going to read this?". God knew exactly when. :) This morning I got up and ate breakfast and came back to my room and sat down at my computer. I wanted to do my daily Bible reading and journaling, but I almost felt like it was pointless today because I thought I wasn't going to get much out of it. To my surprise I definitely did. I decided to pick up that Daily Devotions I received a few days earlier and flipped to March 30th. Guess what the title was??? "Decisions, Decisions, Decisions"! How ironic and perfect! Amazed? I know, right. Me too! I read the words that were there and felt the presence of God and His guidance. In this study it talked about how we have so many decisions to make but the really tricky and big ones should go through a process before we make out decision. Here's the outline God tells us to do as followers:


  1. We should do our research. We need to know the options and what we would be getting ourselves into before we just go ahead and answer. Proverbs 18:13- He who answers a matter before he hears it, it is folly and shame to him. That's the truth there. I've made many decisions in my past and even to this day without researching it or anything. Most of them did bring me shame or they just didn't work out. 
  2. We should definitely talk to God. I know how hard it can be to talk to God sometimes, especially since you can't see Him physically and He doesn't always answer right away, but we really need to take to time to talk to Him and tell Him everything. He will answer but we need to be quiet as well to listen for His guidance. Psalm 37:23- The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord, and He delights in his way. God really does delight in your steps. He wants you to be successful, but only according to Him way, not the worldly way of success. Talk to Him and give Him your time. He wants to hear your voice. :) 
  3. We've got to be open to new ideas. Being stuck in the familiar will only hinder us as we try to grow in our walk with Christ. I tend to get in a mind-set and a way of thinking that is routine and it does hinder me a lot of times; I still struggle with this. remember things won't change completely within a night or even a week. It takes time, patience, and hard work. In order for God's plan to be successful we need to be open to change and new ideas. God likes to help us grow and stepping out of your comfort zone is definitely one of those times where He likes to help. Remember though, He's always there with you through everything. 
  4. Lastly, we should not only seek God's advice but also that of trusted friends and family. God placed those people in our lives to help us out; to act as a visual/physical body of Himself. Talking with friends and family will help you vent, get new perspectives on the decision you've got to make, and give you many options and opinions, but Let God direct your path. You can listen and take their advice to consideration but God has the ultimate advice to give. :) 

I'm so blessed by God. I woke up feeling kinda crappy but now I God is talking to me and showing me what to do in order for me to know what to do. He is helping me. I've been waiting for this day, to know what to do. Thank you, God! Start today with these simple steps. It'll help you, I promise. Take your time, talk, listen, and change. Good luck with your decisions. I hope you have a great journey to it. 

5 comments:

  1. It is so hard to decide what you want to do for your career but my advice is to not rush yourself...trust me your passion with fine you, rather than you finding it...does that makes sense? Hope you don't mind the random comment/visitor :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your advice. I appreciate any I am offered. I do understand what you mean by my passion finding me instead of myself seeking out what I think my passion is. Hope you keep visiting :)

      Delete
    2. I think we always feel pressure to know what we want to career-wise by a certain point in college BUT part of life's journey is finding out what you want to do in a way that's not rushed or forced. Things aren't supposed to happen on a timetable...life does not work that way. When I was an undergrad I had no earthly idea what I wanted to do...I had such a hard time narrowing it down because I have SO MANY interests. Eventually, my passion found me and it's one of those things that will happen when it's supposed to happen. Don't put too much pressure on yourself...enjoy life and "live". Sorry if that was rambly :)

      Delete
    3. No you are so right. Being in the moment that you are given is something that a lot of people miss and I think especially college students because they are so focused on getting out of school and starting their career or trying to figure out exactly what they want to do. We just need to "live" and take each day as a blessing and use it to live out our passions. It'll come to me once I'm not seeking after it. Btw your rambles are encouraging and inspiring. Don't sweat it :)

      Delete
    4. Sounds like you're a deep soul. It's nice to meet other deep souls in this wonderful world of ours.

      Delete

Samantha Metzger 2015. Powered by Blogger.
© Samantha Metzger and His. Beloved., 2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Samantha and His. Beloved. with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.